Thursday 27 June 2024

Australian Olympic Icon Cate Campbell Retires After Missing Paris Bid | SwimSwam

By Retta Race on SwimSwam

Australian Olympic icon Cate Campbell has decided to hang up her goggles at the age of 32.

The world record holder revealed her decision on Instagram, stating, “After over 20 years, over 35,00km, over 19,000,000 stokes, 4 Olympics, 8 Olympic medals, 7 World Records and countless memories it’s time to officially say goodbye to the dream I have had since I was 9 years old. As of today, I am officially retired from elite sport.

“I have had some time over the past week to reflect on my career, and while there are many conflicting emotions, especially because it did not end exactly how I had hoped, I am still able to look back without regret. I gave the pursuit of a 5th Olympics everything I had, and therefore, even in failure, there is a small, indelible kernel of pride.

“One of the biggest myths is that swimming is an individual sport. While it was only me under the bright lights behind the starting blocks, there was a small army of people who got me to that place. So, I would like to thank my extended team over the years. My family, my friends, my partner, my competitors, my Australian Dolphins teammates, my management team, my physios, my coaches, Swimming Australia, the Queensland Academy of Sport, the Australian Olympic Committee, the New South Whales Institute of Sport, my sponsors, the swimming officials and referees, the basket kids, the events teams and every single swimming fan who has supported me over the years.

“It’s been a long and wild ride and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

“I can’t wait to cheer on the Australian Dolphins and the rest of the Australian Olympic Team in Paris. I am entering my cheerleading era.”

Campbell’s final competition was the 2024 Australian Olympic Trials where she raced in the women’s 100m and 50m freestyle events.

In the 100m, the athlete nicknamed ‘C1‘ placed 9th out of the heats, registering a time of 54.27, just .01 shy of snagging 8th place. As for the 50m, the Chandler swimmer made it to the domestic final but placed 7th in 24.56.

Campbell’s top times of the season remain at 53.23 from last December’s Queensland Championships and 24.10 from October’s World Cup in Berlin. Had she clocked the 24.10 at Trials Campbell would have reaped 2nd place behind winner Shayna Jack (23.99).

Famous sister Bronte Campbell did make the squad as a member of the 4x100m free relay after finishing 4th. She gave an emotional post-race interview, celebrating Cate’s achievements.

Career-wise, C1 closes her competitive swimming chapter with 4 golds, 1 silver and 3 bronze medals over the course of 4 Olympic Games. Her debut came at the 2008 edition in Beijing where, at just 15 years of age, C1 claimed 50m free bronze and bronze in the women’s 4x100m free relay.

At the last Games in Tokyo, where she served as her nation’s co-flag bearer, the Aussie captured bronze in the 100m free and golds in both women’s 4x100m free and 4x100m medley relays.

Over the course of her career she was a part of 7 world records, including the 100m free where her time of 52.06 in 2016 erased the supersuited mark of 52.07 Germany’s Britta Steffen established in 2009.

Campbell is currently the owner of the SCM 100m free world record of 50.25 from 2017.

She continues to be in the news surrounding the back-and-forth banter between Australia and the United States.

From training camp in Canet, in the south of France, Australian head coach Rohan Taylor said of Campbell: “Her service and contribution to swimming is just incredible – not just for what she achieved in the pool but also outside of it.

“She is a genuine leader, part of the Dolphins’ leadership group, was always team first … and swam with heart. Her anchor of the medley relay in Tokyo – her skills on the changeover – was class and grit.

“We all saw how much she meant to the team and to her peers by that incredible send off in the pool at the Selection Trials – that was reflection of the high regard we all hold Cate in.

“We wish Cate all the best and know that whatever she chooses to do next, she will excel in.”

Read the full story on SwimSwam: Australian Olympic Icon Cate Campbell Retires After Missing Paris Bid

No comments:

Post a Comment